Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Mac and Cheese

I have two days off in the week: Tuesday and Friday, however I only consider Tuesday to be my official "day off", I've been completely spoiled since I started college with not having classes on Fridays so, for me, even when I was working, Fridays have always seemed like a part of the weekend.

Since I have SO much freetime as it is I try and do something special on the day deemed my day off. Usually I will cook a little something special or go do something touristy.

The week before last I went to the beach (in the middle of November...and it was gorgeous).

 

Seriously....who am I kidding, Marseille definitely has some perks.
 

 The bus to get to the beach took quite a long time with morning traffic, which I can't say I minded much because (being the true American that I am) I love being in a vehicle. I was hungry and a bit tired by the time I was done at the beach, but I was tired of eating the same thing everyday. It then dawned on me how easy it would be to make Macaroni and Cheese...I had all the ingredients and I could make it on the stove...DING DING DING we have a winner!

I googled easy stovetop Macaroni and Cheese (to avoid the baked stuff or some version with a ridiculous amount of ingredients that would cost me an arm and a leg) and I found one that was made in one pot and boasted as the "best stove top, one pot macaroni and cheese recipe", SOLD.

My version of the recipe is as follows (only very slightly changed from the original:

1 cup pasta
1 cup milk
(if needed, additional 1/4 cup milk or water for final cooking)
1/2 tablespoon Butter
1/4 teaspoon Mustard 

1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Cheese; for this recipe I used emmental (a type of swiss), but I plan to experiment with other cheeses 

 
1. In medium sauce pan (about 3.5 qt), add milk, raw pasta, salt, butter, and mustard
2. On medium heat, slowly bring milk/pasta mixture to a simmer, stirring the pasta frequently as it comes up to a simmer
3. Once mixture comes to a simmer, immediately turn down heat to LOW. Pasta will slowly cook in the milk. Having your heat too high will evaporate the milk too quickly!
4. Continue to stir the mixture frequently so that macaroni will cook evenly and absorb milk evenly. If you don’t stir your mixture frequently, you will get a big clump of macaroni in the end! Stir, stir stir!

5. Cook for about 15-20 minutes or until milk has been fully absorbed. If macaroni is not cooked fully, add a little more milk or water  to mixture (in small amounts) until macaroni is fully cooked. This will take about another 5 minutes.
6. When milk has evaporated, stir in grated cheese of your choice. Stir the  cheese evenly into the macaroni.
7. Turn off heat. Place lid on top of pan and cover for about 5 minutes. This rest period will allow macaroni to plump up and absorb any excess milk.
8. Take a final taste and add additional salt to taste. Before serving, stir one final time to mix everything together.


The result:

I'd say it didn't turn out to shabby. It was creamy and cheesy and good and definite comfort food!

No comments: