Monday, October 24, 2011

A bit of focus

So I'm in a weird place. I've reached this strange stage where I am still homesick and want to go home but I WANT to be able to enjoy it here. I'm going to try really hard to be more positive. If I focus on the good things, then the bad won't seem as bad, right?

So I need some goals. I've kind of mentally set some goals for myself but I think it will be good if I use this blog to focus on those things some more.


Goal 1: Spend less time attached to cellphone

This is a picture that was taken shortly before I left for France. Basically I have been GLUED to my phone since I've had one. I intended to get a data plan for my cell phone but I feel like I don't need to be spending the money to be connected to facebook 24/7. Also, I really don't want to risk my phone getting stolen so if I'm going out and I'm not meeting someone somewhere I leave it at home. My goal is to not let my phone be my tether when I go back to the states. 

Goal 2: Learn to Cook
I'm having a lot of fun of learning how to cook for myself and trying new recipes. There's a great market right down the street from me that has fruits and veggies for CHEAP. I need to reduce my carb/sugar intake for sure. I've been eating a bit too indulgently since I've been settled and I need to settle because I definitely would like to benefit from all this extra walking and lose a few lbs/get into better shape. 

I also want to expand my recipe database. I am definitely my mother's daughter and I love kitchen supplies/cooking stuff so this should be fun. I currently have a lot of...random...food. And I am broke. So, until my supply of randomness is depleted I will be focusing on cooking with said ingredients. 
The above is my first attempt at crepes. They turned out decent enough, but since I am in france and I am big on making my own personal recipes, I feel the need to tweak it until it is the best I can find. I've decided that some of my posts will take a Julie/Julia approach and I will discuss my adventures in cooking.

Thus far my three favorite meals I have made are: Crepes with nutella (mmmmmm), Couscous with curry and tons of vegitables (Never knew I loved couscous so much...I will definitely be playing around with that more often), and tonight I made a breaded turkey breast fillet which I used some crumbled cereal with the flour to coat it....YUM (this one again will be using some tweaking so that it has a more personal touch).

Some basic recipes I have used so far are: (Keep in mind I have no measuring cups or utensils so I am literally using a cup which I assume is 8oz and my "table" and "Tea" spoons....it's worked out so far though so I can't complain too much!

Crepes
  • (just over) 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tbsp of melted butter
  • 3/4 cups of skim milk
  • 1 egg
  • dash of salt
This yield's about 3-4 crepes...I basically reduce every recipe I find the what I assume will be more or less single serving.

I think they need a bit of sugar in them, just for flavor. also I bought some "oriental" (which here refers to middle east and is somewhat confusing to me even though it shouldn't be haha) cinnamon so I'm going to try and add some of that in it.

I tried making them this morning with oil instead of butter in order for them to be somewhat healthier, but that did NOT work. The crepes took forever to cook and were greasy and not flimsy, they also didn't have very much flavor!

Couscous with Curry
  • 3/4 cup couscous
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • dash of salt
  • 2 teaspoons-ish (to taste) of curry powder
Couscous is EASY to make. The first time I tried to make this it came out pretty bland. The next time I made my own chicken/vegetable stock which was AWESOME. I have made 3 full meals out of that stock!
For that I used:
  • Zucchini 
  • Some form of chile pepper I got at the market
  • Carrots
  • Onions
  • Garlic
I also boiled in some chicken breast in it which added so much flavor to the stock. I used the rest of it with some rice and curry the next day which was wonderful.

Tonight's turkey I soaked it in some egg then, for the coating I mixed flour, corn flakes, and salt and pepper. The turkey was SO juicy and succulent. I tried to do some lemon garlic butter pasta on the side but i added WAY too much lemon!

From here on out I will be photographing and detailing my cooking adventures here as well as my daily life adjusting to France!

I need to figure out some desserts that I can make stove top...or see if I can b.s. some sort of baked goods because I MISS making cakes and cookies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

rachel, i am so freakin proud of you... i'm really, really looking forward to all your recipes! as soon as i get paid, i shall be doing a bit of these kitchen experimentations. ;)

as always, love you mucho!!